Monday, 13 February 2017

Review: The Lovely Bones

The Lovely Bones The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this book! I had been meaning to read it for years! My first attempt at obtaining a copy resulted in the saleswoman telling my grandmother that in no way, shape, or form, should I be allowed to get my hands on that book as it was not age appropriate. While, I 100% believe I could have handled it at the time, now reading it for the first time at age 20, I feel I appreciated it so much more than I ever could have at a younger age. This book deals with things that (unfortunately) happen every day. There are bad people in the world. There are also good people. And there are some people just trying to keep living after the bad people have torn their world apart. In The Lovely Bones, we meet a young girl - Susie Salmon. Susie is brutally assaulted and murdered by a neighbour and the story is narrated by Susie, in an afterlife of sorts, watching as her friends and family cope and in some cases don't cope with the tragedy in the subsequent years. This book is the definition of bittersweet, and if you can handle the subject matter I recommend giving it a read.

view more reviews