Monday, 13 February 2017

Review: Beautifully Broken

Beautifully Broken Beautifully Broken by Laura Lee
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'd like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book.

I did not care for this book at all . I had such high hopes, as the ratings seem to be very high. This book just was not for me. First of all, why throw every single tragic backstory you can at this poor girl, and then having her be "fixed" by the end of the novel. I love angst as much as the next person, but we get it - she's "broken". Unfortunately I really disliked every character, and found that the love interest swings from being really immature, to really demanding and too possessive.
However, my biggest problem with this book is that 99% of the conversation is about sex. You know why I didn't buy and fall for the "romance" between our main character and the love interest? Because there was so much focus on the physical. Every character seemed to be solely concerned with sex, and while I'm all for being realistic and not going out of your way to censor things that happen in everyday life, I don't see how being obsessed with/only ever talking and joking about sex with your friends, family, and romantic partner is at all healthy. (And before anyone argues that Kat had past trauma, and therefore is acting out - that would make sense, other than the fact that literally every single other character in the novel acts the same way.) I'm sorry but this book just frustrates me. The story was all over the place. While there's a hint of a story here that I would love to read (i.e. a loving teacher/student relationship without the typical major fallout of them being forced apart) the story had too much going on.

view more reviews