Monday, 13 February 2017

Review: Dorothy Must Die

Dorothy Must Die Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Okay, I'll admit it - I had an incredibly hard time getting through the first half of this book. The second half was definitely an improvement, but there's one thing that I can not get past: Amy Gumm. The main character, Amy, is your "I'm-not-like-other-girls" outsider who is unexpectedly thrust from Kansas into a dystopian Oz. Now let me be clear: To me, Amy Gumm feels like a mix of every character trope I've ever personally despised.
(Note: I also have a bit of an issue with the last name Gumm being used. That was the original surname of Judy Garland.)

I honestly thought if anything, I would dislike this book due to the subject matter. I mean, how many times can we really rewrite and revisit Oz before it loses its magic? However, the world itself? An interesting take! Dorothy and friends new evil personalities? Intriguing, and to be frank, pretty darn cool! I absolutely loved the little homages and nods that the author included throughout to both the source material and the movie. I would be interested in hearing more about this new Oz; unfortunately I'm not interested in hearing about it from Amy.

view more reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment