Monday, 13 February 2017

Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two by John Tiffany
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Let me start off by saying: Like most Potterheads, I was hesitantly excited for this new release. On one hand - we get to see our beloved characters again...one the other hand, I didn't want to see Harry, Ron, and Hermione later in life - let alone their children. The only good thing about the original series ending was that it left us with such a hopeful outlook on the rest of the Golden Trio's life...
Unfortunately this "book" (it IS important to remember this is a theatre script...albeit a not well written one,) gave me exactly what I feared it would...

To start with some very brief positive notes:

I absolutely loved Scorpius Malfoy. My attitude towards Harry's youngest, Albus was more neutral as he was just an angst ridden teen, that I honestly didn't find very sympathetic. However, while the relationship between the boys is absolutely wonderful it is slightly (who am I kidding - A LOT) dampened by the forced heterosexuality at the end with thrusting Rose, (someone who has never once been even remotely kind to him) on Scorpius.

As for the rest of the script, to keep it short and not-so-sweet:
Our established characters were so OUT of character it physically hurt me. However, to keep it short and sweet here are my top five problems with the characterisation.
1. Post-Battle of Hogwarts Harry would never in his life act that way towards those around him. Cursed Child Harry is cruel.
2. Hermione and Ron would never have raised a daughter that horrible.
3. Voldemort would NOT have had a lovechild with Bellatrix.
4. In no way shape or form would Cedric Diggory have ever become a Dark Wizard because he was embarrassed.
5. Ron was completely downgraded to "comic relief."

Now as for the plot itself: The alternate universes made no logical sense, even with the alteration made in the timeline. And there were so many continuity errors with the original novels - as well as the rules previously established relating to time travel. Not to mention, the complete lack of regard for characters such as Teddy, Hugo, Luna, George, & Neville (besides the latter two's brief mentions). Oh but, I'm SO GLAD we get to see incredibly crucial characters such as an out of character Amos Diggory, Ludo Bagman, Dolores Umbridge, etc. Great. Just great.

I'm sure by now you can sense my absolute distaste and fury relating to this script.

All in all, this Potterhead will not be accepting this as 100% canon anytime soon.

view more reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment