Monday, 13 February 2017

Review: I'll Give You the Sun

I'll Give You the Sun I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What can I say about I'll Give You the Sun? Well I'll start by saying this: yes, this is a different sort of writing style than you may be used to but please, please don't give up. I am so glad I kept reading.
So what's the story? Jude and Noah are fraternal twins, and a series of things happen that distance the twins from each other. The problems/issues are gradually revealed to us, both in the past (told to us through the eyes of Noah) and the present (told through the eyes of Jude.) We see that each twin only has half of the pieces of the puzzle that creates a larger narrative. I don't usually love alternating perspectives and I can't quite my finger on why, but it really worked for this one (maybe because they're twins? Who knows. Obviously not me.) Anyways, on a side note, it is so, so, so refreshing to find a contemporary YA novel that focuses way more on family and sibling bonds than the romance. While I did end up favouring one sibling over the other (sorry, Jude) I loved that romance was not the main focus of the book (as it very well could have turned out to be).

All in all: I loved it. You might love it. Why not give it a try?

view more reviews