Friday, 17 February 2017

Review: My Life as a Bench

My Life as a Bench My Life as a Bench by Jaq Hazell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'd like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book!

This a review of an ARC.

What if after your death you're tethered to your memorial? After 17 year old Ren dies, she finds that she is inhabiting her memorial bench. I have to say this is one of the most interesting and unique concepts I've read in quite a while! The story is split between Ren's reactions to family, friends, and strangers who come to visit the bench, and her trying to piece together exactly what happened leading up to and on the day of her death. I really, really enjoyed this book. The author (and subsequently the characters, of course) acknowledge the uncertainty and suddenness of death, and how it is seriously unlikely that everything is going to be wrapped up nicely before you go. It's genuinly unfair what happened. But life (and in this case - death) is unfair. If you're looking for a unique, but bittersweet read - this book is for you!

view more reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment