Tuesday, 14 February 2017

Review: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Of course I read this book because of the Broadway musical. I mean what kind of actor doesn't read the source material of one of the biggest shows on Broadway? (Apparently a lot actually... but they may be on to something.) First of all, you won't find me complaining about how the book differs from the musical. Let's be real: the musical definitely went in a different direction than what Maguire had written/intended. I do not consider that in any way a problem. Regardless of how different the novel is from the musical, I liked the book's overall tone just as much (if not more) than the show. It's dark, definitely more adult, kind of addresses political/moral issues, is not concerned with fairness, and is a totally different take on Oz. The problem for me was the style of writing. With The Wicked Years novels I really struggled with actually getting through each book. (In fact I gave up on the last book, Out of Oz, altogether.) The writing seems so distant I have never once felt that a character was ever well... alive, you know? And as such I never felt invested or concerned for any character. I felt like I was trying to be told a story that was being told to me by someone who heard it from a friend...who heard it from his sister... who told her neighbour... well you get the point.

view more reviews