Monday, 13 February 2017

Review: You Will Know Me

You Will Know Me You Will Know Me by Megan Abbott
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'd like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book!

Parents Katie & Eric Knox have big dreams for their fifteen year old daughter, Devon, an aspiring Olympic gymnast. As you would imagine, Katie and Eric's every endeavour revolves around helping Devon further her chances at becoming a professional athlete. When a tragedy directly effects the effectiveness of the gym, a series of events kick off as their tight knit gymnastic community explodes with gossip and accusations.

I gave You Will Know Me three stars as I felt like I've read this plot a million different times. I had (correctly) guessed the outcome at about 20% through the book. What kept me reading was my hope that a specific character was much more calculating and in control of the situation then they turned out to be. For me this novel fell a bit flat, however I can appreciate that the author incorporated the fact that many parents have to devote the majority of their lives for their athletic children, and in turn can potentially lose a part of themselves in the process. Didn't love this one, but I recommend it to anyone interested in the world of gymnastics, and who likes a light mystery.

view more reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment