Tuesday, 25 April 2017

Review: Baby Doll

Baby Doll Baby Doll by Hollie Overton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'd like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book!

I was a bit hesitant to read Baby Doll so soon after reading Room as they deal with similar subject matter, but I ended up being immediately sucked into this one.

Lily has been held in captivity for the last 8 years. The story starts with her and her young daughter's escape from their prison, and the trek home in frigid weather. This story follows the aftermath and reactions of Lily, her daughter, Lily's twin sister, their mother, and even Lily's captor. The format of the story felt fresh and different from what I've read lately, and I was really interested in the whole reintroduction process that Lily had to go through after missing 8 years of her life, unfortunately the second half of the novel failed to hold my attention as well as the first half.

I enjoyed that the characters didn't just suddenly recover from the trauma, but I felt that the overall characterisations felt a little too cable "crime drama" for my liking. I know I've said it before in my reviews, but I felt like I was watching a rerun of Criminal Minds.

Maybe it's time for me to take a break from mystery/thriller crime novels for a bit.

view more reviews